Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Chapter Eleven -- Blog Post 12

I loved the part on page 264 where it talked about how this generation creates there own media, like blogs, video segments, facebook pages and so many other ways that youth can express themselves. I think it is really helpful to express myself like this to help me focus my own ideas and issues. If I have to write them out then I have to find my own opinions.

Reading this chapter has ruined television for me, now I watch the commercials and see how they are targeting gender ideas and how they are playing people into roles.

I liked the analysis of television shows like Sex and the City that are almost tricking people "portrayed women in progressive, unconventional ways, Sex and the City did show women aggressively going after what they wanted, but what did they want? Clothes, shoes, purses and men." pg 272
I think about the shows I watch and how even when they show people in lots of organizations and accepting how they are, but the biggest issue is helping young people find out who they are. They show a lot of teenagers struggling with this identity crisis but not a lot how they come to peace with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment