Sunday, January 15, 2012

Chapter 2 - Blog Post 3

Gendered Lives, Chapter Two: Theoretical Approaches to Gender Development

I took a psychology course in college and we talked about nature/nurture, "The debate centers on the relative contributions of genetic inheritance and environmental factors to human development" (http://psychology.about.com/od/nindex/g/nature-nurture.html)

I think this concept should have been addressed more in the chapter. While breaking from 'tradition' is still the exception its quickly becoming more and more common to see people of all ages creating their own value system and identities.

We can't blame how we were raised for how we are, at least in totality. I personally feel like a self-contradiction. My mom is conservative and my dad is very liberal. How they are still married you may ask, :) you'll have to ask them. It's been great for me to question myself and the world around me but it has complicated my life.

There is so much I could say, but I feel like that is the most important thing I can add to this chapter is that we have to look at all the studies of genetic predisposition and environment before placing 'blame' or 'credit' to they way we are.

1 comment:

  1. So I thought I had replied to your blog already but for some reason it wasn't showing up so I will try and remember what I put. But basically I think I said I really liked what you had to say about the nature vs. nurture aspect of psychology and gender. I myself was raised in a very conservative christian based home. Your post actually reminded me of something that came up on my last visit home. I told my Dad that when/if I got married I didn't think I wanted to change my name. He of course asked why, and I told him I felt like it was part of my identity and I didn't think it was right that the female always has had to take on the name of the male. Well... he then proceeded to say how he thought that was selfish and it would be setting me apart from my family. An interesting thought from an older generation. I don't necessarily know who is right or wrong in this case but regardless it seems that some traditional ideals may always stick. Of course it may change, but for now it doesn't look like it will any time soon.

    ReplyDelete