Monday, January 30, 2012

Chapter Three - Blog Post 4

Gendered Lives, The Rhetorical Shaping of Gender: Women's Movements in the United States

The most thought provoking thing about this chapter was the action it made me take. I went to the website for the National Organization for Women and joined. It's really easy and I'm excited to see what I get.

The most entertaining is the Media Hall of Shame it's ridiculous and amusing to watch the people who write for NOW take a good look at ads or entertainment and analyze what it says about gender. They really say it well. Watching a few clips from the show will show how bad it can be. If I can appreciate the humor in Mrs. Doubtfire but now I feel like I need to go rewatch it.

Side note: loved the quote on page 89 that quoted Abra Chernik about eating disorders "Gazing in the mirror at my emaciated body, I observed a woman held up by her culture as the physical ideal because she was starving, self-obsessed and powerless, a woman called beautiful because she threatened no one excepted herself"

I don't believe this is the intent of society to make everyone one strive to be the 'weakest' so that power is easier to get or that there is some conspiracy the likes of Josie and the Pussycats but I think a good point is made about eating disorders and what they do to the human body.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sara I also talked about the NOW program, and I honestly think it is pretty amazing. ALl of the accompolishments that these women have made through the program are incredable. I think that is awsome that you joined the site, im interested in hearing about it later on down the road! great post by the way!

    kali Cancelosi

    ReplyDelete